The Adventures of Odysseus X
Today is September 22, 2026 and I am trying to use my brain to write.
Back in high school, circa 2002 (or 2001? I don't know—it was my 3rd or 4th year of high school), I made a comic book report on The Odyssey. Why The Odyssey? It was the most relatable piece of fiction that I read in all of the Greek mythology books that our high school curriculum was shoving down our throats.
I poured my heart and soul into it for an entire week, drawing each panel and page to capture every main event of that epic. I titled the report "The Adventures of Odysseus X." It was inspired by Homer's original version of The Odyssey, blended with my influences from Rurouni Kenshin, Legend of the Five Rings, The Lord of the Rings, Image Comics, Disney's Hercules + The Little Mermaid + Dante's Inferno, Magic: The Gathering, and whatever else I was into back then. It was one big bag of mixed influences packed into a single mini-comic book. My classmates seemed to love it. The most enthusiastic readers were Jon Rick L.C. and Eddison P., who sat behind me. I remember we all sat at the back of the class. It makes me wonder: did they photocopy it? Do they somehow still have a copy sitting in their ancestral homes? Anyway...
Now I'm 40 years old—every year I wonder what ever happened to that comic book report that has been lost through the ages. Did it get a perfect grade? Did it get a failing grade? Did my high school teacher burn it to the ground at the end of the school year to clear space in preparation for her next school year? Did someone see it, appreciate it, take it, and maybe keep it? Fuck, I still don't know, and I wish I did. I badly want to retrieve even just a copy of it for my peace of mind.
It's been a good/bad several hours since I watched The Odyssey (2026) directed by Christopher Nolan. I think I need some emotional or mental therapy. Where do I even start?
It's a masterpiece, yes—but I think I'm going to have nightmares. Few films make me tear up; this was one of them. Scenes that got me: Spiderman discovers the identity of Odysseus. Zendaya's head and the pillaging and remorse.
I'm still thinking about that damned Cyclops and the sound; the transformation into pigs; the Siren's song; the whirlpool and Scylla, damn you Scylla; most especially, the scene between the beggar and the queen before the final battle. Yes, I believe I am traumatized.
Anyway, I'll try to recall every page and panel of the comic book I drew.
It starts with The Wanderings of Odysseus (Books 5–12):
I used my favorite technique: smudging each line with my thumb to create charcoal effects everywhere in all panels.
What I remember:
Release from Calypso: I remember maybe drawing Odysseus X leaving Calypso's island on a raft and washing ashore in Phaeacia. Calypso was, of course, a babe! Behind him, Calypso was drawn in a classic 90s style—Baywatch vibes meets Gen13 (Image Comics) calendar. There may have been a heavy storm surrounding the panel.
King Alcinous's Court: I remember drawing King Alcinous hosting Odysseus X, with Odysseus X sharing his past adventures (was this even in the film?). My interpretation was just them drinking merrily and heavily. Odysseus X and King Alcinous sit centered at a long, candle-lit wooden table surrounded by food and booze—heavily inspired by The Last Supper.
Cyclops Polyphemus: I remember drawing two or three Cyclopes inside a cave, gnashing and gnawing. Its foreground was a back view of Odysseus X carrying his massive sword? or Bow? In front of him, in the darkness of the background, were three giant Cyclopes —towering, hulking. Maybe they were wearing shoulder plates and carrying massive spiked iron clubs (tetsubōs). They looked like the Ogre Bushi from Legend of the Five Rings. It had that L5R Crab Clan vs. Shadowlands aesthetic. This had heavy thumb-smudged charcoal shadows. I don't recall drawing any cute sheep! Haha! The Cyclopes' eyes would've looked like they each had Sauron's eye.
The Witch Circe: I don't remember drawing the escape from Circe—fuck, and the giant soldiers? I can't recall drawing that page at all?
The Underworld: I do remember drawing the visit to the Underworld. It looked like a mix of those hell/Hades scenes from Disney's Hercules, but wasn't too cartoony. It would've been darker with lots and lots of charcoal, smudging, and shadows. Dante's Inferno's seven gates of hell was the theme.
The ship passing the Sirens: I clearly remember drawing a couple of Baywatch mermaid babes surrounding Odysseus X's ship with harps sending visual musical notes swirling through the air toward the ship. That panel was inspired by one of those Marvel trading cards → 1992 Marvel Universe Impel Series 3 Meggan; and Wildstorm 1996 swimsuit calendar pages
Poseidon's Wrath: Before the Scylla panel, I drew Poseidon raging in the waters—I believe there was a typhoon with (Magic: The Gathering) Lightning Bolt(s) and Rolling Thunder. It would've looked like the opening scene of The Tempest (Shakespeare). There was a giant, fiery face of Poseidon forming within a colossal ocean wave (or waves) OR maybe the pitch-black sky. Poseidon would've had a triton like the dad from The Little Mermaid
Source: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/shootingnova/blog/poseidon-respect-thread/99869/
The Climax: Telemachus joins Odysseus X in the final battle and they defeat the suitors → The battle scene looked straight out of Rurouni Kenshin when "Battousai" goes berserk, with Odysseus X slashing away against multiple enemies. Was Penelope acting like Kaoru? Odysseus X is drawn mid-slash with a sword in a classic Hiten Mitsurugi pose.
I don't know if I drew the sunset scene with Penelope. Maybe I did. Maybe not.
Good, no, great times.
Man, I should try to redraw it. But this is just me trying to deal with the trauma of watching the 2026 movie.
P.S. Today is September 23, 2026; yeah, I had nightmares earlier. My wife also had some mini-shouts while sleeping. She said she was also dreaming about finding something. I couldn't sleep for 2 hours thinking there was some kind of force watching me sleep. Strange. All I can say is . . . go watch The Odyssey (2026). It's more relatable to me now , more than ever - it hurts but it also heals. I hate it but I love it more.
#TheOdyssey
#TheOdysseyMovie
#ChristopherNolan
#MattDamon
#GreekMythology
I poured my heart and soul into it for an entire week, drawing each panel and page to capture every main event of that epic. I titled the report "The Adventures of Odysseus X." It was inspired by Homer's original version of The Odyssey, blended with my influences from Rurouni Kenshin, Legend of the Five Rings, The Lord of the Rings, Image Comics, Disney's Hercules + The Little Mermaid + Dante's Inferno, Magic: The Gathering, and whatever else I was into back then. It was one big bag of mixed influences packed into a single mini-comic book. My classmates seemed to love it. The most enthusiastic readers were Jon Rick L.C. and Eddison P., who sat behind me. I remember we all sat at the back of the class. It makes me wonder: did they photocopy it? Do they somehow still have a copy sitting in their ancestral homes? Anyway...
Now I'm 40 years old—every year I wonder what ever happened to that comic book report that has been lost through the ages. Did it get a perfect grade? Did it get a failing grade? Did my high school teacher burn it to the ground at the end of the school year to clear space in preparation for her next school year? Did someone see it, appreciate it, take it, and maybe keep it? Fuck, I still don't know, and I wish I did. I badly want to retrieve even just a copy of it for my peace of mind.
It's been a good/bad several hours since I watched The Odyssey (2026) directed by Christopher Nolan. I think I need some emotional or mental therapy. Where do I even start?
It's a masterpiece, yes—but I think I'm going to have nightmares. Few films make me tear up; this was one of them. Scenes that got me: Spiderman discovers the identity of Odysseus. Zendaya's head and the pillaging and remorse.
I'm still thinking about that damned Cyclops and the sound; the transformation into pigs; the Siren's song; the whirlpool and Scylla, damn you Scylla; most especially, the scene between the beggar and the queen before the final battle. Yes, I believe I am traumatized.
Anyway, I'll try to recall every page and panel of the comic book I drew.
It starts with The Wanderings of Odysseus (Books 5–12):
I used my favorite technique: smudging each line with my thumb to create charcoal effects everywhere in all panels.
What I remember:
Release from Calypso: I remember maybe drawing Odysseus X leaving Calypso's island on a raft and washing ashore in Phaeacia. Calypso was, of course, a babe! Behind him, Calypso was drawn in a classic 90s style—Baywatch vibes meets Gen13 (Image Comics) calendar. There may have been a heavy storm surrounding the panel.
King Alcinous's Court: I remember drawing King Alcinous hosting Odysseus X, with Odysseus X sharing his past adventures (was this even in the film?). My interpretation was just them drinking merrily and heavily. Odysseus X and King Alcinous sit centered at a long, candle-lit wooden table surrounded by food and booze—heavily inspired by The Last Supper.
Cyclops Polyphemus: I remember drawing two or three Cyclopes inside a cave, gnashing and gnawing. Its foreground was a back view of Odysseus X carrying his massive sword? or Bow? In front of him, in the darkness of the background, were three giant Cyclopes —towering, hulking. Maybe they were wearing shoulder plates and carrying massive spiked iron clubs (tetsubōs). They looked like the Ogre Bushi from Legend of the Five Rings. It had that L5R Crab Clan vs. Shadowlands aesthetic. This had heavy thumb-smudged charcoal shadows. I don't recall drawing any cute sheep! Haha! The Cyclopes' eyes would've looked like they each had Sauron's eye.
The Witch Circe: I don't remember drawing the escape from Circe—fuck, and the giant soldiers? I can't recall drawing that page at all?
The Underworld: I do remember drawing the visit to the Underworld. It looked like a mix of those hell/Hades scenes from Disney's Hercules, but wasn't too cartoony. It would've been darker with lots and lots of charcoal, smudging, and shadows. Dante's Inferno's seven gates of hell was the theme.
The ship passing the Sirens: I clearly remember drawing a couple of Baywatch mermaid babes surrounding Odysseus X's ship with harps sending visual musical notes swirling through the air toward the ship. That panel was inspired by one of those Marvel trading cards → 1992 Marvel Universe Impel Series 3 Meggan; and Wildstorm 1996 swimsuit calendar pages
Poseidon's Wrath: Before the Scylla panel, I drew Poseidon raging in the waters—I believe there was a typhoon with (Magic: The Gathering) Lightning Bolt(s) and Rolling Thunder. It would've looked like the opening scene of The Tempest (Shakespeare). There was a giant, fiery face of Poseidon forming within a colossal ocean wave (or waves) OR maybe the pitch-black sky. Poseidon would've had a triton like the dad from The Little Mermaid
Source: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/shootingnova/blog/poseidon-respect-thread/99869/
The Climax: Telemachus joins Odysseus X in the final battle and they defeat the suitors → The battle scene looked straight out of Rurouni Kenshin when "Battousai" goes berserk, with Odysseus X slashing away against multiple enemies. Was Penelope acting like Kaoru? Odysseus X is drawn mid-slash with a sword in a classic Hiten Mitsurugi pose.
I don't know if I drew the sunset scene with Penelope. Maybe I did. Maybe not.
Good, no, great times.
Man, I should try to redraw it. But this is just me trying to deal with the trauma of watching the 2026 movie.
P.S. Today is September 23, 2026; yeah, I had nightmares earlier. My wife also had some mini-shouts while sleeping. She said she was also dreaming about finding something. I couldn't sleep for 2 hours thinking there was some kind of force watching me sleep. Strange. All I can say is . . . go watch The Odyssey (2026). It's more relatable to me now , more than ever - it hurts but it also heals. I hate it but I love it more.
#TheOdyssey
#TheOdysseyMovie
#ChristopherNolan
#MattDamon
#GreekMythology







Comments